Sunday, December 19, 2010

Precious Metal

PRECIOUS METAL was drawn by me in late 2009. It is a personal favourite of mine in terms of the simplicity and elegance of the design with the metal mesh, which I have a thing for. But it was also the whole experience of creating this shoe - one that was saddled with many failed attempts and hair pulling sessions with the factory that made the end result so worth it.

I was inspired by shoes with metal mesh and thought I could use this material in my design - easy peasy right. However, easier to draw than create - this shoe was problematic from day one - the metal mesh that we had sourced would break every time the craftsman tries to last it. I even sourced a nice quality mesh from Taiwan and had shipped it over to the factory but it broke again during the lasting process. After countless of days of sourcing for alternatives and discussions on how to change the shoe, we were about to give up when somehow, the right material was found at the very last moment. I would say persistence does pay off because the shoe is just......sublime.

The metal mesh adds a strong glamrock accent to the shoe so I kept the overall look very classic and fuss free. I am a big believer in straps to hold the feet in but this design did not look quite right with a strap on the ankle or even at the vamp.
It is a shoe that will get anyone noticed but at the same time, not too over the top. It will always have a soft spot in my heart.

No comments: