Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The higher, the closer to heaven


Err, not true.
How high have you gone? In my 20s, I was great in 5 inch heels. I loved the height and the confidence that came with it.
I still do, don't get me wrong. I feel more comfortable with my 4" and 4.7" heels now as I am getting clumsier by age.
I recently splurged on a pair of 5.5 inch heels as picture above. This is the exact shoe but I don't feel like telling you who is the designer. Let's just say it's waaay out of my budget but I wanted it because it is from this person.
I have never gone above 5" so this was like whoa, I AM tall. I wanted to test out the shoe to see how long would I last on 5.5" so hubby and I went walking around a mall.
First hour : Loved the attention everyone was giving to my feet. Felt like a movie star. Everything felt great, shoe was comfy but in the interest of being careful (see, movie stars should not fall down, even fake ones), I had to walk a few seconds slower than my usual pace. When I walked into a boutique, all staff eyes were on me and my vertiginous heels, hoping I would buy something expensive. Read : the higher the heel, the richer you look.
Second hour : The foot arch and calf muscle started to cramp up and oh man, all I wanted was to find a place to sit. But all the cafes were full house. Had to walk even slower, which was not ideal for my long legged, take-long-strides husband.
Second hour and half : I started to walk a few steps and then go stand by the railing on pretense to look down at the crowd walking by below with interest. But it's just me finding excuses to rest my aching legs. Plus, I felt like a vein was twisted or something on my left leg. Probably from lack of wearing 5 inch heels. Oh, I was also holding my breath for most of the time for some reason, perhaps from the forcing of my posture upright - you can't slouch when you walk in very high heels. The shoes won't let u. So kinda felt like I was lacking in air and would pass out if I don't stop every 5 mins for a rest. The idea of walking to the other end of the mall made me go "u f*** kidding me??"

So I didn't last 3 hours of walking around the mall. But i think if it was a party where you basically stand and sip bubbly, I would be able to last 5 hours.

So would I design 5.5" heels? I think I would just stick to highest being 5" for now. Walking in 4.7" is small deal to me, but I bow down to the 5.5". Forget about walking in 6" heels for me - how does anyone do that??? RESPECT.

My advice on wearing heels? Go slow, increase your hours on them, rests in between but look elegant while doing so, and stand up straight and relax your shoulders. Pretty soon you will be flying in them.

No comments: